Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My New and Revised "I Am From..." Poem

I Am From
by Matt Marchyok


I am from the mysterious, exotic Ukraine in the hills of eastern Europe,


I am from mountainous, sophisticated Poland near the border of Russia,


I am from emerald, turfy Ireland next to the sea in the British Isles,


I am from quiet, working-class Trenton, Michigan near Detroit,


I am from the tender, comforting Marchyok family located deep in my heart,


I am from rich, peppery, creamy homemade chicken soup on a winter night,


I am from exasperating, delicate “Watership Down,” reading in the late night hours,


I am from geometrical and clean Mondrian paintings about life’s simplicity,


I am from the intense, stealthy Great Horned Owl in the darkest forests,


I am from the liberating, explosive game of soccer on a damp field,


I am from lavender, crisp sunsets with my wife in my arms,


I am from giggly, sweaty wrestling with my crazy kids,


I am from powerful and vivid Midwest thunderstorms in the middle of the night,


I am from gentle and peaceful meditation after everyone goes to sleep,

I am Matthew William Marchyok.

No comments:

Post a Comment