Wednesday, September 4, 2013

First Day Letter

September 4th, 2013
First Day Quick Information

Dear Room 20 Families,

Welcome to fifth grade! My name is Matthew Marchyok, and I will be your child’s teacher this year. I am very excited to work with your child and you! I just wanted to give you a quick overview of our classroom and let you know how to contact me if needed. I will be sending more specific information as the year unfolds.
-News: I will send information via the weekly news, our classroom blog, and call/email. It is VERY important I have your updated email address- this is a quick means to contact and receive messages. Check http://marchyok.blogspot.com to view up-to-date posts/information.
-Survey: I will send a survey home about your child on the first day of school. Please fill it out. It gives me a good perspective from your end. I am a parent of a 6 and 9 year old and know that a little information about your child goes a long way.
-Birthdays: If you would like to bring something for a celebration, please send or arrive at 2:45 for a quick “Happy Birthday,” and snack. Please be aware that Safety Patrol will need to leave by 2:50.
-Contact: If you would like to contact me or meet, please call the office to schedule a meeting at 503-916-6360. My email is mmarchyok@pps.net. I check it regularly.
-Homework: Every day I will assign homework, yet the homework is always due on the last day of the school week; usually Friday. Fifth grade expectations for homework are: 30 minutes of reading to self per night and filling out reading log. Students’ weekly reading logs will be in their binders. Students will be expected to write down homework every day before they go home as part of their end of day responsibilities. They will write homework down in their homework log in their binders on the same page as their weekly reading logs. Binders go home every night with homework. On Friday morning, I will collect homework and both homework and reading logs (a one page document). Students will also have a homework folder for homework and correspondences or school notes/information. Students will get a new homework/reading log sheet every first of the week. Note: homework may be hard copy or online. It is important I know immediately if you do not have internet access at home.
If students do not return their homework by Friday, they will be expected to return by Monday morning. If returning homework becomes a challenge, we (parent, student, teacher) will conference and problem solve. Sixth grade homework is quite hefty. Fifth grade is a bridge between elementary and middle school expectations.
-Volunteering: By Back to School Night, I will have all of the volunteerships, regular or one-time, available for you to peruse and sign up for.
-Fifth Grade Science Camp: Fifth grade will send out detailed information about camp by Back to School Night, including fundraisers, times, and costs.
-Specials days (PE, Library, Music) will be written down in student binders. Except for the first week, Mondays and Wednesdays we have Music, Tuesdays Library, Thursdays PE, and Fridays Reed Science.
This will be a year of hard work, exploration, curiosity, growth as students and as people. I am honored to be here for your child. Please contact me for clarification and go to my blog at marchyok.blogspot.com.

Most Sincerely,

Matthew Marchyok

No comments:

Post a Comment